Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Deferment

I saw Judd Apatow's winning comedy Knocked Up this past weekend. With expectations as high as can be, I sat down in the theatre ready for the first original movie of the summer, and was not disappointed by any part of the film. It actually managed to exceed many of my expectations; shocking as so many of the hyped films released during the summer leave much to be desired. I was so excited, in fact, that I was all set to come home and write a review of the film for all 6 of my readers to enjoy. Then I stumbled across my friend Andrew Dignan's self described contrarian take on the film. I then realized that no matter how much of my writing prowess I mustered, no amount of Strunk and White consultation would deliver a better written review. Although I disagree with many of the points that Andrew makes, I cannot help but send you curious readers to his article, if only to see what intelligent film commentary looks like. I respect all of Andrew's opinions (yeah, I'm diplomatic like that) even when they are contrary to mine (Miami Vice and Thank You for Smoking). Read and enjoy his writing, and understand why as long as I am able to make films, I will never ask his opinion of anything I create. I just don't think I could take that kind of intelligent constructive criticism.

2 comments:

Andrew Dignan said...

Aww shucks. Danke.

grgcu1981 said...

I'm not lying when I tell you your praise was an understatement. I was very entertained by the movie, but upon retrospect, I have to agree with some of his points. Imagine what he'd write if he liked your films, however? Worth the risk, if you ask me...