Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Just like SportsCenter, but without the sports highlights.

After those two little tidbits yesterday, I felt it was time to let my 4 faithful readers in on what has been happening with me lately. I was originally going for a FreeDarko-esque free association with the photos, but then decided against it. Plus I can't even begin to compete with the Darko's way with words. It is simply stunning.



Oh man, have you seen trailers for this movie? It looks horrible. A studio executive must have lost a bet, or his mind or something, because this looks fucking wretched. Tim Allen, John Travolta and Martin Lawrence in the same movie? This movie should have been called Box Office Poison. I bet that Carrott Top movie has more laughs than thi---Wait. Hold on a second. Is that William H. Macey? How the fuck did he get on the poster for this movie? This must be some photoshop job or--What? He is IN the movie? No he isn't. William H. Macey? The Oscar nominated one? The Coen Brothers/Paul Thomas Anderson favorite William H. Macey? Uh. That's bullshit.

Oh, by the way it's the number 1 movie in America. Yeah, millions of people went to see Wild Hogs. Millions. Yes, that is vomit AND feces coming out of your mouth.

In other news, I saw two movies this past weekend, and both of them were quite excellent. The first, David Fincher's Zodiac, I expected to be great. It is part police procedural, part monster movie, part portrait of obsession, and it really is a great film. Fincher lets his actors do their job, and carefully weaves a very complicated story about the in-vain search for San Francisco's Zodiac Killer in the 60's, 70's and 80's. All 3 lead actors (Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr.) give stellar performances, and the supporting cast of Elias Koteas, Donal Logue, Anthony Edwards and the boss from Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead are great. There is even a surprise appearance of Adam Goldberg. I mean, really, who doesn't love Adam Goldberg?

The 2nd film I saw was Craig Brewer's follow up to Hustle and Flow, Black Snake Moan. I think I can honestly say it surprised the hell out of me with it's quality. Like Hustle and Flow, it also has terrific supporting characters to help out the two leads played by Sam Motherfucking Jackson and Christina 'Eat Something, Girl' Ricci. They are both excellent, as is the increasingly reliable Justin Timberlake. Yes, that Justin Timberlake. I guess my only real complaint is that they didn't revert back to their original title, 'Skanks on a Chain'. This Brewer character really is quite a talent, and he was sure able to avoid that sophomore slump that plagues many emerging filmmakers. Karyn Kusama, I am most definitely looking in your direction.

I also watched the 1st season of the Showtime series Weeds (Yes, I work. Mind your own fucking business). It sucks. Poorly written, poorly conceived, and it wastes the black guy from The 40 Year Old Virgin. The dude barely even curses on the show, let alone tells hilarious dick jokes. Nothing. What a waste. This show seems to be aimed at two groups of people; frat guys, and mid 40's mid life crisisees who want validation that it's cool to smoke pot. Somehow I don't think they are getting that from Kevin Nealon.

I am getting geared up to start my documentary film Wasteland, which kicks off at the end of this month. I think I am going to start a blog for that. Then I will start a blog about the blog. Blog. Blog.

So let's review, in the form of haiku. (I am truly a poet sometimes)



Go see Zodiac
Really long but not boring
No gay cowboy sex



Sam Jackson curses
Character development
The South is dirty



It's plain and simple
I would rather watch myself
Take a big huge dump



Overrated crap
Old people smoke pot, bad jokes
At least the mom's hot

1 comment:

Raronauer said...

It is just like sportscenter: No highlights and a lot of analysis.